*This article was originally posted on Real Time Wine – 23 January 2014*
We had a really interesting discussion inside the SuperFAN Club around things to do and experiences to have in the wine world… in Joburg, about as far away fromwine country as you can get before crossing a border.
The suggestions were so interesting, we had to pull everything together and make a post out of it. So here they are, run off and explore some wine in Johannesburg.
- Cape Wine Academy runs wine courses out of the Michaelangelo in Sandton and Miele SA in Bryanston. Look out specifically for their “Wines of the World” course.
- Le Souffle Restaurant in Fourways/Pineslopes has monthly wine-pairing dinners featuring a particular estate.
- Roots Restaurant at Forum Homini (near the Cradle of Mankind) does wine pairing dinners. Warning: strictly no kids.
- The International Wine Centre, you’ll find good ‘ol Cathy Marston there doing some of the more technical and interesting WSET wine courses. Apparently these courses make their way up to Joburg more and more. Enquire!
- KREAM in Pretoria has a super intimate chef-cooks-right-next-to-you-while-you-meet-the-winemaker evenings. Don’t miss ’em. They also appear to have a great deal with a driving service to get you back to wherever you live in Joburg at about R5/km. You’ll need it.
- De Kloof Restaurant, L’Epis Dore and Zest Bistro (Pretoria area) also do wine and food pairing evenings. All three come highly recommended. Something about being out of the winelands that makes these restaurants go the extra mile to creating a great evening experience.
- And then of course are the Wine Clubs. The most recommended one to check out is Cellar Rats. Bring liver tablets 🙂 We joke, we joke…
Any other great Johannesburg wine experiences? Let us know in the comments!